TERMS, CONDITIONS AND RENTAL AGREEMENT
Keflavik Airport Car Rental (Car-rental ehf.) - Id: 560315-0740 - VAT: 119777 - Njarðarbraut 1e - 260 Reykjanesbaer - Tel: +354 777-5600
AGE REQUIREMENT AND DRIVERS LICENSE:
A credit card in the main driver´s name is required for the reservation and to pay the total reservation at time of reservation.
A full drivers license must have been held for at least 12 months and must be presented at the start of the rental. Renter must be 20 years of age and 23 to rent a jeep.
CREDIT CARD IMPRINT:
All rentals are subject to the full rental agreement terms and conditions at the time of rental. A credit card imprint will be taken at the start of all rentals for security reasons, even when a voucher covers the cost of the rental. This credit card imprint may be used to pay all extra charges including extra kilometres, extra insurance, parking fines, damages or any cost due to the rented car as a result of the renters use of the car.
The minimum rental period is two days - 24 hours for rentals picked up and returned to the same location. When the drop is one hours or more after the pick up time, it is regarded as a full day.
PICK-UP & DROP-OFF location:
If returned to non Keflavik Airport Car Rental location you can contact us 24/7 at Mobile 777-5600.
Taking the car outside of the country is forbidden
We reserve the right to substitute vehicles when the reserved car types is not availble.
The rental car will be full of fuel. The car should be returned with the same fuel on, or a charge will be made for the missing liters.
Local value added tax (VAT) is 24% CHILD SEATS: In Iceland it is mandatory for young children to travel in safety seats while in a vehicle. Child seats are available if pre-ordered. These child seats are generally suitable for children aged from 6 months to +4 years of age.
CANCELLATION AND RESERVATION POLICY:
In order to guarantee your reservation we require a valid credit card number, we charge your credit card at your booking.
Cancellations 20 days before booked pickup time and pay 10%.
If cancelled is 15-8 days before booked pickup time and pay 40%
If cancelled is 7 days before or a no-show at the booked pick up time you pay 80% off the rental.
Third part liability is equivalent to the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at each time. This also applies to the amount of individual driver liability. Third party coverage and personal accident insurance is automatically included in your rental.
COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER (CDW):
CDW insurance is included the price, the driver liability in excess of ISK 200,000,- for 2wd and 350,000,- for 4wd. If renter has already purchased CDW insurance he is able to purchase SCDW insurance and by doing so lower the self risk of CDW down to ISK. 35.000,- on 2wd and Isk. 95.000,- for 4wd. The renter is therefore always responsible for the following damages, which are not covered by CDW or SCDW insurance: e.g. negligence, driving while intoxicated, damage to tires, headlights, wind-screen and the underside of the car, damage caused by loose rocks which get thrown at the car on gravel roads, damages to the engine of the car caused by water getting into the motor. (Please see full details listed on the backside of rental agreement).
This protection includes damage to windscreen, headlights and the car when gravel or rocks get thrown on the vehicle by another car. The gravel protection (GP) is available.
TP covers theft of retal vehicle.
Break down service 24 hours call 777-5600
Map of Iceland and Reykjavik are free at rental location
Obligations of the Renter
1. The Renter accepts the provisions of this rental agreement and has received a copy of it.
2. The driver shall be at least 20 years of age and shall have held a driver´s license for at least one year before renting a vehicle. The Renter shall abide by Icelandic law and regulations when driving.
3. The Renter shall return the vehicle as stated below:
a) With all attachments, including tires, tools, documents, maps and other items that were in or on the vehicle upon rental, in the same condition as upon reception, except for normal wear and tear from use. If something is missing the Renter agrees that the cost price of individual items that are absent when the vehicle is returned will be charged to his or her credit card which the Renter used at the beginning of the rent. The same applies if extra parts that came with the vehicle are missing upon the vehicle´s return or if returned in an unsatisfactory condition, i.e. these items will be charged to the credit card used at the beginning of the rent.
b) At the predetermined time as stated on the front page of the rental agreement or sooner if the car rental demands it.
c) At the car rental where the vehicle was rented, unless otherwise agreed. If at the end of the rental period the vehicle is not left at car rental´s venue of rent, car rental is authorized to charge the renter for pick-up of the vehicle according to its pricelist.
d) With a full tank of fuel. If the vehicle is not returned with a full fuel tank the car rental is authorized to charge the Renter for the difference in fuel until the tank is full at the pricelist of the car rental.
4. The Renter shall pay for the fuel and other needed for driving the vehicle for the period of time the vehicle is at her or his responsibility, which in the interpretation of this agreement, is never a shorter period than the period the car rental has to register the vehicle in its system as returned, which can only be processed during the company´s opening hours.
5. If the Renter does not return the vehicle at the correct time according to this rental agreement, or negotiates extended rental with the car rental office, the car rental or the police are authorized to take possession of the vehicle without further notice at the Renter´s expense. Extended rental is subject to the consent of the car rental. If the Renter returns the vehicle 1 hour or more after the expiry of the rental period, the car rental is authorized to collect as much as a one-day rent according to this rental agreement. For every day that begins thereafter,the car rental may collect all charges as per the company´s pricelist.
6. The Renter has objective liability in respect of the vehicle towards the car rental, for example, because of damage sustained by the car rental if the vehicle is stolen or if the vehicle sustains damage that will not be compensated by the company´s insurance company.
7. The Renter has objective liability in respect of the car rental for damage derived from the use of the vehicle and will not be compensated by the car rental´s insurance company, including damage to passengers or other persons.
8. The Renter is liable for damage derived from the use of the vehicle and will not be covered by the vehicle´s insurance company, including damage to the vehicle and/or passengers that may be traced to the following factors:
a) Off-road driving
b) Driving in rivers or any kind of watercourses
c) Intentional actions or major negligence
d) Driver´s usage of intoxicants
e) Usage of the vehicle that is in breach of Icelandic law and/or the provisions of this rental agreement.
9. The Renter is unauthorized:
a) Off-road driving, for example, in paths and tracks, on beaches, in areas only accessible during low tide, or in other trackless areas.
b) Driving on roads that are marked with an F on public maps, as well as driving the Kjölur or Kaldidalur roads, except vehicles in the category 4WD (four-wheel drive vehicles) that the car rental agrees as appropriate for being driven on such roads. A breach of this Article authorizes the car rental to collect fines from the Renter, equaling the amount of own-risk cf. the pricelist of the car rental at any given time. The aforementioned provision on fines does not affect the Renter´s liability regarding damage.
c) Driving under the influence of any intoxicants.
d) Driving in or across rivers or any kind of watercourses. Such driving, is totally the responsibility of the Renter, cf. also Item i, Article 30.
e) Driving in banks of snow and ice.
10. In the instance of collision or another accident, the Renter shall immediately notify the police, as well as the car rental. The Renter may not leave the venue of collision or accident until this has been done and until the police have arrived, or a damage report has been prepared. The Renter shall immediately fill out the damage report if damage has occurred. If the Renter does not report the damage within 12 hours from its occurrence, the Renter is fully liable for the damage and shall in such instance pay for it in full irrespective of the collision damage waiver (CDW) that is attached to the insurance taken out by the Renter at the beginning of the rent.
11. The Renter is not authorized to have repairs or changes made of the vehicle and its attachments or to place them as guarantees without the prior consent of the car rental.
12. The Renter is responsible for all parking tickets and fines for traffic violations. the car rental reserves the right to collect a charge from the Renter, charged against his or her credit card, according to the car rental´s pricelist, if it turns out that the car rental has to pay fines for the Renter and/or inform the authorities about the Renter because of traffic violations.
13. The Renter is not authorized to use the vehicle for transporting passengers against payment, lend it or sub-lease it.
14. The Renter shall pay all collection costs that fall on the car rental if the car rental launches collection measures because of this rental agreement.
15. The Renter is responsible for all expenses derived from transporting the vehicle to the car rental´s location, as decided by the car rental, in the event of transportation because of an accident or damage to the vehicle, or for other reasons. In such instance the collision damage waiver (CDW) has no impact.
Obligations of Keflavik Airport Car Rental:
16. Keflavik Airport Car Rental guarantees that the vehicle meets the requirements made on it.
17. The vehicle shall be made available to the Renter with a full fuel tank.
18. Keflavik Airport Car Rental guarantees to do its utmost to make the vehicle available at the agreed hour. If the vehicle is presented to the Renter more than 8 hours after the agreed rental hour, the rent for said day shall be dropped.
19. If the vehicle malfunctions because of normal wear and tear, or for other reasons for which the Renter cannot be at fault, the car rental shall make another vehicle available to the Renter as soon as possible, or see to it that the repairs are made as soon as possible at the location decided by the car rental. The aforementioned does not affect the payment of the rent or other which the Renter should pay according to this rental agreement. The car rental pays no compensation in the instances stated above, neither because of accommodation or other.
20. The car rental shall inform the Renter of the contents of this rental agreement, particularly the obligations the Renter undertakes by signing it.
21. The car rental shall to the extent possible inform foreign Renters about the Icelandic traffic regulations, the traffic signs and the rules prohibiting off-road driving, as well as the hazards caused by the presence of animals on the roads.
22. If the car rental wishes to limit the use of a vehicle with respect to its structure and/or the conditions of the roads, in other respects than stated in this rental agreement, this shall be done in writing upon the signing of this rental agreement.
23. The car rental guarantees to always have valid liability insurance for its operation.
24. The car rental is not liable for the disappearance of items or damage to them, which the Renter or another party kept or transported in or on the vehicle. Insurance and own-risk fee (Collision Damage Waiver – CDW).
25. The rental fee includes the mandatory vehicle insurance, i.e. liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
26. Third-party liability insurance and the accident insurance for the driver are to the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time. The Renter´s own-risk (CDW) because of damage to a vehicle may amount to the full value of the vehicle; cf. a further stipulation of own-risk on the front page of this contract.
27. The Renter may pay an own-risk fee and thereby reduce his or her liability. The amount of the own-risk fee is according to the pricelist of the car rental. Notwithstanding the payment of the own-risk fee, the Renter is always obligated to pay a minimum amount in the event of damage to the rented vehicle during the time the vehicle is at the responsibility of the Renter. This amount is determined in the pricelist of the car rental. Each own-risk only applies to one incident. In instances of more damage that obviously did not occur at one and the same time, each own-risk CDW applies to only one incident. In case of accident or damages the self risk is paid right away or within 30 days.
28. The amounts of own-risk fees (CDW) vary, depending on how high the amount of damage they apply to. In respect of own-risk fees (CDW) and to which damage amounts such payments apply, a reference is made to the pricelist of the car rental, which is deemed as being a part of this rental agreement if an own-risk fee (CDW) is paid. The payment of an own-risk fee (CDW) does not reduce the Renter´s own risk because of damage to the vehicle in the following instances:
a) Intentional damage or damage resulting from major negligence by the driver.
b) Damage resulting from the driver being under the influence of intoxicants or is in other respects incapable of controlling the vehicle in a safe manner.
c) Damage resulting from racing or test-driving.
d) Damage resulting from warfare, revolution, riots and/or civil unrest.Damage caused by animals.
e) Holes burned into the seats, carpet or mats.
f) Damage affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass, radio equipment, as well as damage due to the theft of individual parts of the vehicle and damage derived thereof.
g) Damage caused by driving on rough roads, for example, to the transmission, the drive shaft other parts in or on the chassis of the vehicle, damage to the chassis of the vehicle caused by the vehicle bumping against uneven roads, for example, road shoulders caused by motor graders, rocks lodged in gravel roads or by the edges of roads. The same applies to damage resulting from loose rocks hitting the bottom of the vehicle when being driven.
h) Damage resulting from the vehicle being driven in areas where driving it is banned, for example, driving on paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice over or in unabridged rivers, streams or other watercourses, on beaches, places that are only accessible during low tide or other trackless areas.
i) Damage to vehicles caused by driving on roads marked with an F in public maps and on the Kjölur and Kaldidalur roads.
j) Damage to the vehicle caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice or other kinds of earth materials being blown against it.
k) If the vehicle is shipped by sea, the payment of the own-risk fee does not apply to damage caused by seawater.
l) Damage to the car rental because of the vehicle being stolen.
m) Water damage to the vehicle.
29. Subject to the payment of a special fee, TP fee, the Renter can reduce his or her liability for the car rental´s damage derived by the vehicle being stolen. Notwithstanding the payment of the TP fee the Renter must always pay a minimum amount if the vehicle is stolen while at the responsibility of the Renter. This amount is determined in the pricelist of the car rental.
No insurance covers damage to the chassis of a vehicle or caused by driving in rivers or lakes. The own-risk fees (CDW and SCDW) do not cover such damage. The Renter is fully liable for such damage; see further the item above on insurance.
30. The car rentalis authorized to take possession of the vehicle at its discretion and without notice if it has been illegally parked or has been used in a manner that does not conform to this rental agreement or law and regulations, or if the vehicle appears to be abandoned.
31. In instances where the car rental exercises its right according to the aforementioned, this by no means affects the payment of the rental fee or other which the Renter shall pay according to this rental agreement. If, however, the vehicle is re-rented to a third party within the agreed rental period the amount of the rental fee shall be deducted to the extent where the rental periods of the Renter and the third party coincide. The car rental decides unilaterally at any given time whether the Renter will be provided with another vehicle instead of the rented one, i.e. in instances of any breach of the rental agreement. If the Renter receives another vehicle of a different and less expensive type, the Renter will receive no reimbursement of the balance. If there is only a more expensive vehicle available, however, the car rental reserves the right to collect the balance between the rented vehicle and the vehicle which the car rental decided to make available instead to the Renter, charged to the credit card presented by the Renter upon the beginning of the rent or later.
32. The car rental is authorized to charge against the Renter´s credit card the rental fee and other the Renter should pay according to this rental agreement, including payments because of damage to a vehicle while in the possession of the Renter, and also because of lost rental days because of damage, taking into consideration the utilization ratio of the car rental´s fleet of vehicles, and the car rental alone shall hold the power to decide when this is done and whether done in one transaction or not. This right remains intact for six (6) months after the vehicle has been returned to the car rental. The Renter´s signature to this rental agreement equal´s the Renter´s signature to credit-card withdrawals because of the payments that the car rental charges against the Renter´s credit card and which the car rental should rightfully receive on grounds of the provisions of this rental agreement.
33. The Renter confirms with his or her signature to this rental agreement and the damage report that he or she received the vehicle and attachments in sound condition.
34. This rental agreement shall always be in the vehicle while at the responsibility of the Renter.
35. Any amendments or annexes to this rental agreement are subject to being made in writing and confirmed with the signatures of both parties to the agreement.
36. This rental agreement and agreements entered into on grounds of the aforementioned provisions, as well as claims for damages that may subsequently be made, fall under the auspices of Icelandic law. This applies both to the grounds and calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damages on grounds of liability outside of agreements. A case arising over this agreement shall only be filed at the legal venue of the car rental.
37. Matters of disagreement between the parties to this rental agreement may be brought before the Arbitration Committee of the Icelandic Consumers Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.